In considering Simon’s (1960) normative model of decision-making, I have
done some extra research by reading chapter one of the Teale et al. (2003) text
Management decision making: towards an
integrative approach. The
chapter entitled “Management decision-making in context” provided a concise
review of Simon’s life and contribution to the professional discipline of decision-making
in “business administration”. I
also reviewed Pomerol and Adam’s (2004) academic article “Practical decision
making: from the legacy of Herbert Simon to decision support systems”. This was an easy to read piece that focused
on Simon’s work and how it has been developed to form the foundations of
Decision Support Systems (DSS) that are utilised by many managers today.
Key themes of Simon’s work focus on the way decisions are rationally
made by identifying all the possible alternatives; determining all the possible
consequences of the these alternatives; and evaluating all the possible
consequences. His other key
argument was that if the individual is making a decision in an organisation,
the structure and the ‘influence’ of the organisation plays a key role. This places Simon’s research and work
in the framework of ‘social psychology’, a well-established field of study
today, but one that has its foundations in the work of Herbert Simon.
In 1960, Simon presented his model of decision making which he is most
famous. It is made up of four
stages: Intelligence; Design; Choice and Implementation (Review).
In considering a decision I have made within this framework, I am drawn
to a situation in my last job. I
was the WA Operations Manager of a residential service for young people with
very high needs. I was asked by
the Board to research and decide if the organisation should open operations in
South Australia, with the understanding that I would manage the service if it were
to open.
I started by collecting as much information as possible about the
out-of-home care sector in Adelaide, this included the amount of young people
in care; relevant legislation and Acts, competitors presently in the market
place, the possible pool of potential employees, rental costs, and government
funding structures that would be able to utilise our services. In looking for potential issues, I recognised
a number of opportunities in opening services in Adelaide, namely the limited
amount of services presently providing high needs care and the high number of
young people waiting for suitable placements. Potential issues (problems) was that we would be the high
cost of our service and the difficulties we could potentially have in
recruiting suitably qualified, experienced and resilient local staff.
I conceived a number of possible service development models, which
included organically building the service one house at a time, transporting
current staff from either WA or Queensland to open and establish the business;
or developing a partnership with an established service in Adelaide and
training some of their current staff to work specially with more challenging
clients. I also thought about
moving to Adelaide myself to manage the start up and work towards
sustainability of the business and the employment of a SA State Manager. The Board and the CEO provided me with
defining criteria, namely a deadline for the proposal of two months, projected
start up of the new business within a year and a projected operational budget
for the first year of opening.
Using these criteria, I evaluated the alternatives and decided to
present the option of growing the new Adelaide operation one house at a time,
allowing us to employ and train staff as we needed them, more tightly control
the budget and minimise risk. The
Board supported this model and I produced a business plan that focused on
building relationships with key stakeholders and employing a local coordinator
to obtain suitable resources including the first property in Adelaide. I left the organisation shortly after
the SA coordinator was employed.
On reflection, this model could break down in the first stage, as you
can only choose from alternatives you know about. I was acting on a combination of tacit and explicit
knowledge, which led to bounded rationality as I had limited time, knowledge,
data and the authority to make the final decision. I was also bias due to that not wishing to move to Adelaide,
which seriously affected my ability to judge all the alternatives the same.
I believe the model is useful because it provides a framework for
capturing possibilities and considering consequences. I personally like ordered ways of approaching decisions and
Simon’s provides a rational model that allows you to take into account a number
of alternatives for reaching similar goals. He also makes us question our limitations and bias that
underpin our decisions.
The main issue however is how we are usually time poor, which in turn
undermines the amount of information that can be collected and considered as
well as how much time can be spent in utilising this model. I suppose this model is only as good as
the information and knowledge that is fed into it, which again is a serious
constraint for most of today’s time poor managers.
Hello Paul,
ReplyDeleteI reviewed Gunjan's blog for TASK ONE
http://mba6030-gunjan-gautam.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/task-1-decision-making-typologies.html?zx=82e1aea38825e794
Shaun
Hi Shaun
ReplyDeleteYour explanation of the problem and the application of Simon's Normative Model was applicable and well written. Yes I agree there are flaws in this model, and bias will be evident in whichever model of decision making one adopts. I think that given the variables of time restrictions or being under pressure to make a decision the model works quite well. It is structured and process orientated and as I found when I have used it, it allows intuition and instinct to make up for the gaps of knowledge, time and reflection. In some situations simple is best - it is the role of a good manager to assess and choose a model which best suits the the context of the decision that needs to be made.